.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Pachalafaka

Portuguese guy moves to Istanbul, learns turkish and lives the new culture.
Um português em Istanbul
Bir portekiz İstanbul'da

Name:
Location: Türkiye

2005-01-10

New Turkish Lira

2005 started with a brand new coin for Turkey. The Yeni Türk Lirası (YTL).
1 YTL = 1 000 000 TL (1 million turkish liras)
So basically they take 6 zeros out of the prices. It's a good thing because prices were very confusing to read, for example a candy bar costed 1000000TL and now costs 1YTL.
The new money takes time to replace, after 10 days I get 20YTL notes from the ATM but when I pay I allways receive old money for change, except in the big supermarket.
Also I don't see people very excited about the change, everyone still talks in millions and thousands of Liras instead of YTL and kuruş (1 YTL has 100 kuruş). I guess people here got used to see new money come in since there the inflation was very high during the 80's and 90's and new money had to be made with more and more zeros.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit that you are one of the few persons (if not the only) who willingly (more or less) underwent two currency changes! Are already looking for a country that will change currency in 2006? I'd suggest Sweden but that may happen latter. On the other hand, if you're willing to wait a longer time perhaps Turkey is also an option! By the way, if you can grab one of each of the new coins, I have an interested party! Cheers, BF.

10 January, 2005 19:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep
I will miss being a millionnaire ...

20 February, 2005 18:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home