.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Pachalafaka

Portuguese guy moves to Istanbul, learns turkish and lives the new culture.
Um português em Istanbul
Bir portekiz İstanbul'da

Name:
Location: Türkiye

2004-12-09

Gelinim Olur musun?

Those who know me better know that I'm a big fan of reality shows like Big Brother! Just recently I discovered the best show in Turkish TV "Gelinim Olur musun" (Would you be my bride?), I have been watching as much as I can even though it's so hard for me to understand.
So here's how it works: In a closed house, watched by cameras there were in the begining 5 bachelors, their mothers and 10 eligible bachelorettes. They socialize among theirselves, there is a system of elimination and by now there are 3 guys with mums and 4 girls.
First I didn't get what was the point of having the guy's mum around but now I understood. In Turkey a mother can have a very important part in deciding who the son marries!
So here's what I saw: Ata (a guy) and Sinem (a girl) are in love with each other, they decided they would marry, so they called for the rings and the cake that the production offers to make the engagement party. But Semra (the mother) disagreed! When Ata went to a room with his mother to tell her about his decision she went mad! From what I understood she first threatned to break his 32 teeth and then said that he had to choose betwen this girl and his mother! You should see this woman screaming and threatning! She looks like the devil in person! Also from what I understood the reason for the mother's dislike is an episode that hapened before in the house where Sinem (the girl) made the comment "Crazy Semra" in front of Semra (the mother).
As a result of this dislike by the mother the young couple decided to unmake the decision of engagement.
Every morning the same channel has this 2 hours show about what's happening in the house, they invite the old guests of the house, the remaining parents of the guys and girls and the audience is welcomed to comment. It's crazy! Women shouting at each other defending the mother or defending the girl!! I loooove it!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home