.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Pachalafaka

Portuguese guy moves to Istanbul, learns turkish and lives the new culture.
Um português em Istanbul
Bir portekiz İstanbul'da

Name:
Location: Türkiye

2004-11-11

Atatürk

Yesterday I woke up at 7:00 like everyday, caught the train and the boat to the european side, like everyday, and caught the bus to the school, like everyday. In the bus I standed in between the crowd, then the bus stopped, I thought traffik light was red... Feeling unconfortable with the bag on my back and thinking "Why is the #%&/ bus taking so much time to move, I'm late!" I put the bag on the floor and looked through the window, cars weren't moving "Oh no, another accident!", a woman came out of the car and was standing straight looking ahead, then I noticed no one was speaking in the bus! Ah! No one was moving! Then I looked to the watch, 9:05. Hmm, That's the time of Atatürk death, I remembered that when I visited Dolma Bahçe Palace they told us clocks in the palace were stopped in the 9:05 position because he died in that minute.

So, for 1 minute Turkey stops (except ignorant foreigners who think they got in the twilight zone), they tell me that even cars on the highways stop at this time! Atatürk is probably the most important person in this country. If you ever come to Turkey it's impossible not notice him. In every office, shops, restaurants, parks, hotels, schools you see either a picture or statue of him. From him I hear only good things "he saved our country", "Turkey could be just like Iran!", I think I only heard bad comments about him when I went to Greece! He's not a popular guy over there.

So, I guess I owe to him the fact that I can be here and feel so much at home. Long live Atatürk!


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose they don't stop everyday at that time, was it Ataturk's death day?Good story! Nnn

11 November, 2004 21:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Qdo comecei a ler a história do teu inicio de dia, pensei que tudo teria a ver c/ a morte do Arafat , mas claro e óbvio mais uma frase e logo vi que nada tinha a ver.....! E como é que aí se viveu a noticia , c/ calma ou nem por isso ? Agora tenho tempo e estou sempre a ler as tuas noticias, cada vez melhores.....
Bjos e saudades. A Tia

12 November, 2004 21:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought this blog was international ;-)

15 November, 2004 13:35  
Blogger Aziz said...

Yes, I forgot to mention that it was his date of death. When I asked a guy in the bus why did everyone stop he just answered 'On kasın' which means '10 November', this didn't help me much, obviously, but later I understood. Everyone here knows what 'OnKasın' means.

15 November, 2004 15:16  
Blogger Aziz said...

About Arafat, for me it was a day as every other, I only learned he died the next day. I saw some news about it on TV, they also showed a jewish family in Israel celebrating with a big party, I wondered if everyone in Israel were doing parties like this or they happened to catch 1 family doing it and exposed it, and I wondered if they would show this piece of news in other countries...

P.S: The blog is international so everyone is free to write in any language that I understand :P

15 November, 2004 15:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello PMS!!!
News from home tv: The new "RTP Memoria" channel is a trip down memory lane.... I'll try to record some episodes of this so you can also "kill some saudades" LOL

Have fun!
Um abraço
RMA

15 November, 2004 17:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home