.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Pachalafaka

Portuguese guy moves to Istanbul, learns turkish and lives the new culture.
Um português em Istanbul
Bir portekiz İstanbul'da

Name:
Location: Türkiye

2004-08-27

Learning turkish

Learning Turkish

I finished a few days ago the turkish online course at Distance Turkish Learning Center. It gave me some help expressing myself here and understanding some words they tell me.
The course isn't for tourists though... I still don't know how to ask the dolmuş driver to stop the bus using decent turkish, and I still don't know how to count, so I never understand prices :P That's something I have to learn soon!
I'm always making funny faces to show that I don't understand, I use the expression Turkçe bilmyorum (I don't speak turkish) a lot. Many people here actually know some english if they're writing but they understand and speak very little. I was surprised when I once asked for the bus to Kadıköy to a 60 year old man, he didn't speak but he wrote in my notebook with perfect english The number is 80. Usually I start with Do you speak English? If they answer yes I start my question, they understand what I ask but usually have many problems answering. It seems they have to really concentrate hard to build the sentence in english. It's also common that after 10 minutes talking in english they seem tired from the effort! People tell me that english and turkish are very different languages in grammar and it's difficult making the translation.
So I guess that when (and if) I actually start having conversations in turkish I'll be the one tired... I have been looking up the courses available in Istanbul. It all comes down to 3:
The first 2 are on the european side of Istanbul which means more than 1h of transports to get there and another hour to return, they offer courses of 4h every week day with about 10 students per class. The third one is on the anatolyan side, with 3 students, 3h 3 times per week.
I still haven't decided but I prefer the idea of having more lesson time and also more people to meet, so it seems I'll be crossing the Bosphurus to go to school everyday!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taksim Dilmer sounds like fun and a good choice. Go ahead go for it!! Nnn

03 September, 2004 18:05  
Blogger Aziz said...

Yes, Taksim Dilmer was the chosen one!
I'll start classes on the 6 September!

04 September, 2004 13:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home