.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Pachalafaka

Portuguese guy moves to Istanbul, learns turkish and lives the new culture.
Um português em Istanbul
Bir portekiz İstanbul'da

Name:
Location: Türkiye

2004-08-22

All good fellows!

Renting a place in Istanbul seems to be more difficult than what i thought, people tell me that it's hard to find good prices due to the big demand (more and more people arrive to this city) and it envolves a lot of bureaucracy signing the renting contract, getting electricity, water, gas...
Now I'm thinking things can be easier if I rent a room, but I don't see much market in that area too..
Today I decided to walk around my hotel in search, I tryed to find shop sellers in the area that spoke english and I asked them if they knew of anyone renting anything in the area. I found this (big and strong) grocery man that spoke some english and he told me I could find a pension much cheaper than the hotel I'm currently staying. Then he talked with his friend Ali (big and fat) and turns out that Ali offered to take me to a pension with cheaper prices, so we took the dolmuş all the way to this pension, Ali talked with the clerk and they agreed on a 12 eur/night which is better than the 30 eur/night I was paying.
So, once again I'm surprised with the turkish fellowshipness! Thanks Ali! :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Paulo !
Welcome to the "club" of foreign people in a foreign country!
As you know I have some "experience" of living in a foreign country ....then I understand you well !
Hope everything running OK with you and your new life and if you´ll search ...of course you ´ll find more "good fellows".
A big hug from tizzy&diogo (we are not anonymus, but I have not found the correct way for placing our names !)
see you soon ! Ciao

01 September, 2004 16:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home