.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Pachalafaka

Portuguese guy moves to Istanbul, learns turkish and lives the new culture.
Um português em Istanbul
Bir portekiz İstanbul'da

Name:
Location: Türkiye

2004-10-19

Ramazan

The ramazan has started. Many people in Turkey follow this 1 month muslim celebration where you are supposed to: Not eat, not drink, not smoke during sun time and restrain from many other things through the whole Ramazan period - like drinking. During the whole day people are fasting and around 18:30 when the mosque calls for the last prayer of the day, they get their food and drinking. A lot more people than I thought follow the fasting, in Istiklal Caddesi (Main torist street) in a tea house I saw this kid, around 19 years old with a school bag praying and then eating his meal with a very hungry face!
Around 2:00AM the Davulci (man of the drum) starts walking around streets banging on his big drum to wake people up, people get up and eat something since when they get up for work sun is already up.
For me it's incredible, I feel hungry at lunch time and I think I need some food as soon as possible and I imagine how it is for this guy or that woman that don't eat all day! But it seems that smokers have the hardest time, they don't smoke all day! Around 2:00AM it's easy to find people on the house windows smoking cigarets after cigarets!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pauleta!
What a great ideia you had, creating this blog. It keeps everyone up with your turkish adventures! I must say, though, I'm a bit disapointed with your reaction to the ramazan. Aren't you trying to realy be a turkish now? Then my advice is: stop your eating to!! :) That I'd like to read. "how a portuguese guy in turky motivates himself for longterm starvation".
Naaaaa, tou a brincar! Apesar de que, como experiência pessoal, era capaz de ser interessante. (A esta hora tenho a tua mãe a rogar-me pragas com certeza...)
Queria só dar-te os parabéns pelo blog e desejar que continues a ter boas vivências por aí. Foste muito corajoso em ir.
Beijinhos da prima que, ja sei, surgirá como anónima...
Sara (sim, a "inha")

20 October, 2004 02:25  
Blogger Aziz said...

Ola prima! What a pleasent surprise! :)
I didn't join in the ramazan, I'm allready making the effort learning to enjoy the different food I get here, like the spicy sauces, soup of chicken stomach (İşkembe) or the popular drink (Ayran) yogurt+water :-O
But I have a friend from school that decided to experience the ramazan by herself. Before, she was a typical italian speaking a lot (or as portuguese say: talking by her elbows) until the 15th of October when she started fasting. Fom then on she becomed a pale and quiet girl, I still don' know how she can follow the classes! It's just too hard!
So, if you want to experience the real muslim tradition just come by and I'll make sure you get a good meal at 18:30!
The invitation extends to all family and friends. When is anyone coming for a visit?!
Xau priminha, obrigado por apareceres! :)
Bjs

24 October, 2004 18:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home